You know we bought our small lakehouse 2 years ago. The idea was my contractor would do the garage and then do the house (all before we moved in.) Well, there were issues with the city on the garage so we separated out the house from the garage and got the house done first, moving in May of 2016. Then of course I broke my ankle and couldn’t deal with the garage stuff or anything else for two months. ☹
MY contractor started in December 2016 to get all the permits needed to do this work. He made 4 all day trips to city hall. They always needed one something extra. Another something from the engineer, etc. They didn’t tell him everything they needed at one time.
James called me last week and said he finally had the permit to rebuild, but they wouldn’t give him the permit to demolish the garage. He didn’t have a demolition license. What he has is much more strenuous than a demolition license, but oh no, that wasn’t going to work.
Now I, as the owner, could go down and get the permit. And that’s what I set out to do Wednesday a week ago. I got to city hall at 9:30. I left city hall at 2:30, but I had my permit! Now I wouldn’t have survived if my sweet SIL, Kevin Strawser hadn’t stopped by with coffee for a little pick-me-up.
The inspector was scheduled to come out last Thursday to see just exactly what we’re tearing down. It’s a garage! But he knocked on our side door rather than coming to the lakeside front door. I didn’t hear him, so it was re-scheduled for Friday. He showed up early, but I didn’t know he would, and canceled Pilates! ☹
All the inspector did was look at my paperwork. Not the garage. He signed off that I’d gotten the paperwork done properly. Okay.
On that Wednesday I spent 5 hours getting the papers filled out. I did like the system of the text messages:
Status Update from Building Permits: There are now 10 people ahead of you. Your estimated wait is 124 minutes. The next one said: There are now 8 people ahead of you and your wait time is 132 minutes.
What? I had several like that where I moved up in the order, but the wait time increased.
Then I met with a staff member and she did some stuff and sent me off to see a bunch of other folks including Flood Plane, Urban Forestry, Historical, and Water. Everyone was nice. It just seems that it shouldn’t have taken 5 hours!
The most important thing about this is our garage can now be torn down and a new one put in its place which will allow us to put both cars in there. I can move a bunch of stuff out of our house into the garage and cut down our storage unit to something smaller. The goal is not to have a storage unit at all.
On Monday of this week, James and his crew began.
Concrete sinking into lake.
Center new wood holding up the garage to make it safe enough for workers to take it down.